The 19th season of Biscayne National Park’s award-winning Family Fun Fest kicks off on December 9 at the park’s Dante Fascell Visitor Center. This year’s theme is Holidays! Each of the five events will tie into the theme with holidays appropriate to that month. The events, held from 1-4 pm on the second Sunday of each month from December to April all feature fun, hands-on activities for kids and their families to complete together.
Family Fun Fest Junior lets toddlers (ages 5 and under) join the fun with special activities designed just for them. Free transport from downtown Homestead is available aboard the Homestead National Parks Trolley, courtesy of the City of Homestead.
All events feature games, science experiments, presentations, crafts and more. Participants receive a passport which they get punched as they complete each of five activities. After collecting all five punches, kids earn a specially-designed button to help them remember the lessons learned.
The 2018-2019 themes are:
• ‘Tis the SEASon! – December 9, 2018 – 1 - 4 p.m. Decorating crabs, worms that look like Christmas trees and more! SEASons Greetings!!
• Celebrating Silly – January 13, 2019 – 1 - 4 p.m. Celebrate some January holidays you may have forgotten about, like: Measure Your Feet Day, Hat Day and Houseplant Appreciation Day!
• I ♥ Biscayne – February 10, 2019 – 1 - 4 p.m. Valentine’s Day is a great time to show love for your favorite national park!
• Wearin’ o’ the Green – March 10, 2019 – 1 - 4 p.m. From plankton to moray eels, everybody’s going green!
• Spring Fling! – April 14, 2019 – 1 - 4 p.m. Learn about birds’ eggs, marsh rabbits spring tides and more!
Participants who earn all five buttons in a season are declared "Family Fun Fest Fanatics" and earn a special award in April.
In addition to 5 activity stations at each event, there will also be one activity station focusing on theme-related creative play for parents with toddlers. "The little guys will earn a button just like their older brothers and sisters, but with activities geared to their skill level," said program lead Karen Adkins. "Family Fun Fest Junior fills an important niche for parents looking for innovative educational opportunities for their children."
Family Fun Fest is made possible through the generosity of The Guerra Family Foundation, ClubOne Athletics, and the Bobby Duryea Fund at the South Florida National Parks Trust, with additional support from the Biscayne Bay Aquatic Preserves, a variety of other local agencies and businesses, and a host of dedicated volunteers.
More details about Biscayne National Park can be found on our website: www.nps.gov/bisc or follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram at biscaynenps