The Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade County WIC & Nutrition Program is implementing special procedures in the wake of the recent devastation brought by Hurricane Irma.
The special procedures will allow people to easily enroll and receive food, breastfeeding support, infant formula benefits and referrals for shelter and other resources. Disaster victims who are pregnant, breastfeeding, postpartum women, infants and children under 5, can call the WIC program to schedule an appointment at (786) 336-1300 for immediate assistance. The WIC program can still help if your personal documents were destroyed or lost due to the disaster.
WIC benefits are available for:
• Pregnant women
• Women who’ve recently had a child
• Infants and children under five
• Anyone with custody or guardianship of infants and children under five can apply for benefits for their child
Current Clients Lost Card or Benefits
· WIC is supporting evacuees from other states (Texas, Puerto Rico) by allowing for easy transfers to Florida and making evacuees a priority for appointments and services
· Miami-Dade WIC is offering replacement of current food benefits if they were destroyed or stolen
· Food package flexibility will be offered for evacuees and disaster victims
A list of all DOH-Miami-Dade WIC clinics are attached. All clinics are open except for the North Miami WIC clinic.
If a mom needs breastfeeding assistance, please direct her to our breastfeeding support helpline (786) 336-1336.